Date: 5 p.m. Thursday, April 16, 2020
2020 Valdez Marine Terminal Admin Sump Incident
Fact Sheet – COVID-19 precautions
For many weeks now, Alyeska has had focused groups of employees developing and implementing plans to keep workers safe through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This includes:
- Developing plans for worker return-to-work screening.
- Avid promoting of strong self-checks and healthy behaviors.
- Moving hundreds of workers to remote work status to promote self-isolation and social distancing.
- A robust quarantine plan that establishes health and decontamination procedures should an employee test COVID-positive.
- These plans and processes remain in place during this response.
The response effort is being worked in accordance with state, local and Alyeska company policies and mandates in order to protect the health of the workforce and the surrounding communities amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This includes:
- Requiring employees to wear cloth face coverings when working in close proximity is unavoidable.
- Encouraging frequent cleaning and sanitation of surfaces and work stations.
- Having personnel involved in the response work remotely whenever possible to promote social distancing and support both workforce and community wellness.
Employees who report to the Valdez Emergency Operations Center and to the VMT in support of the response are having their temperature taken before entry as part of regular screening processes.
In staffing the response, priority is being given to utilizing local resources and personnel to minimize influx of out-of-town workers in support of sustaining community health.
For information and updates on the response, visit www.alyeskaresponds.com and the ADEC site at http://dec.alaska.gov/spar/ppr/spill-information/response/2020/02-vmt-sump-oily-water-spill/.
Fact Sheet COVID 19 precautions April 16, 5 p.m.